October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and in light of this very serious topic, I ask: Can moving to Napa Valley reduce your risk for breast cancer? The answer is a resounding yes!
Research shows that a key component in breast cancer prevention is healthy living and, as I shared last week in my post “Napa Among 10 Healthiest Cities,” Napa Valley is one of the healthiest places to live in the world.
In Napa, good nutrition and exercise are a big part of our every day life. But that’s just part of the prevention story. The Mayo Clinic suggests the following lifestyle changes
to lower your risk of breast cancer:
- Limit alcohol.Limit yourself to no more than one drink a day.
- Don’t smoke. Not smoking is one of the best things you can do for your overall health.
- Control your weight. Being overweight or obese increases the risk of breast cancer.
- Be physically active. Physical activity can help you maintain a healthy weight, which, in turn, helps prevent breast cancer.
- Breast-feed. The longer you breast-feed, the greater the protective effect.
- Limit dose and duration of hormone therapy. Combination hormone therapy for more than three to five years increases the risk of breast cancer.
- Avoid exposure to radiation and environmental pollution. Medical-imaging methods, such as computerized tomography, use high doses of radiation, which have been linked with breast cancer risk.
Over the years, Napa Valley wineries and businesses have given a great deal to support the fight against breast cancer such as the upcoming annual “Sisters Crush Breast Cancer
” fundraising events at Jessup Cellars in Yountville. I hope you will join me in doing everything you can to prevent this dreadful disease. If you are looking to take advantage of our healthy lifestyle in Napa Valley
by moving here, please contact me at 415.516.3939 or email me at Ginger@GingerMartin.com. Meantime, take a look at my website and make sure to check out my Facebook and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest news for both homebuyers and sellers.